There was certainly a village here in Anglo Saxon times and it is described in the Domesday Book as Patrictone. From those early days, the village was an important market town, with two markets weekly as well as an annual fair. Its position in South Holderness was important as all the traffic and goods from the area and coastal ports such as Ravenspurn (long since swallowed by the sea) and Patrington Haven (closed in 1869 when it became silted up), would have had to pass through it.
Today, Patrington parish has 2,043 inhabitants (2011 census). The village has a very good range of shops and facilities, which attract customers from a wide area. There are several pubs in or close to the village as well as tea rooms and cafes, a bakery and fast food outlets.
The village is very active with cricket and football teams, a Young Farmers' Club, Brownies and Guides.
There is a Church of England Primary Academy school in the village.